Tuesday 10 June 2014

TTT - Top Ten Books I've Read So Far This Year

Top Ten Tuesday is a meme created by The Broke and the Bookish
Each week a new topic is given and weeks topic is:

Top Ten Books I've Read So Far This Year

I've had a rough year of reading thus far. I've come across a handful of gems, but for the most part the books I've read haven't elicited much emotion or attachment from me, which made this list pretty difficult to compile. Considering I've only handed out five 5-star ratings, and one of those was a re-read of the first Harry Potter book, the books on this list are definitely not all amazing, but they are all books that I really enjoyed. 

I would include Cress by Marissa Meyer, which is what I'm currently reading, but I feel like it would be cheating to include a book I haven't finished yet...

Inheritance by Malinda Lo
This was actually the first book I read this year, and it was a bit of a let-down after Lo's awesome Adaptation. My main complaint with this book is that I just didn't like one of the love interests. I did love the unexpected conclusion (and all of the interactions between Reese and Amber). That said, it's still a duology I'd recommend without hesitation and I really enjoyed reading it.
Parasite by Mira Grant
Parasite's premise is everything I look for in sci-fi: female protagonist, big corporations doing evil deeds, conspiracy theories, and lovely, confusing science. It helps that the characterization was on point, and the plot was fast moving and not too contrived. I don't read a lot of sci-fi, but this is a book to check out regardless.
The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making by Catherynne M. Valente
I tried to read this book about two years ago, but couldn't stick with it at the time. This go around, however, it was exactly what I needed. I loved this book. I'm so excited to get my grubby little paws on the next book (and all of Valente's other titles). Guess who's going to be doing a lot of library requesting this summer? 
Dark Currents by Jacqueline Carey
Jacqueline Carey has been my favourite author since the first time I read Kushiel's Dart when I was about fourteen. I'm not typically a big fan of urban fantasy because in general I find it to be rather repetitive, misogynistic, and not particularly creative, but I was pleasantly surprised by Carey's take on the genre. I love that feminism plays such a huge role in all of Carey's books, and this was no exception. I loved that it wasn't super romance-heavy.
Y by Marjorie Celona
This book was hauntingly beautiful. Set in my hometown, it isn't particularly well-known, but it was on my TBR and when I spotted it while browsing the shelves at the library I knew I had to grab it. It was a really quick read, but much deeper than most of the other books I've read this year. It tells the story of a newborn baby who was abandoned at the YMCA and the young woman who left her there. This book left me pretty much speechless.
Death, Dickinson, and the Demented Life of Frenchie Garcia by Jenny Torres Sanchez
I have no idea how this book came to be on my radar, but I'm so glad it did. The main character, Frenchie, is refreshing and lively and altogether different. It takes place over a short period of time, but it feels much bigger than it is. I'm pretty sure I read this in a span of about four hours, because I was completely captivated by Frenchie's life and wanted to know more.
Salvage by Alexandra Duncan
I've admitted before that I absolutely hated the beginning of this book. I came very close to setting it aside after just a few pages because it was painful to read. But I'm SO FREAKING GLAD I didn't. This is one of the most memorable books I've read this year, and I don't think I'll ever forget it. It's very different from everything else that's out there. It starts off quite cliched, but once you hit the halfway point you realise that this book isn't what you were expecting. The relationships in this book are wonderful, and I loved the character growth shown by Ava. She's practically a different person by the end of the book, but it's all completely believable. Just read it, okay?
Nine Coaches Waiting by Mary Stewart
Another title that isn't what I normally gravitate towards, but which really impressed me. I really loved the French-ness of this book, if that makes any sense whatsoever. While not a particularly sophisticated novel, Nine Coaches Waiting is a testament that not all trashy romances are bad. The romance itself was probably my least favourite part, but it really wasn't the most important thing going on. It was creepy and thrilling and had me up until four in the morning because I just couldn't put it down until I'd found out what happened.
Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein
This one was a no-brainer. Though I was a bit thrown by the beginning of this book, it was absolutely brilliant. I never thought I'd learn so much about airplanes... Aviation aside, Code Name Verity broke my heart into a million teeny tiny pieces and I will never recover from it. Ever. Kiss me Hardy.
Dreams of Gods & Monsters by Laini Taylor
This. Freaking. Book. Dreams of Gods & Monsters popped into my head immediately when I read the topic for this week's Top Ten Tuesday. It was by far the best book I've read thus far this year. I've never read a better conclusion to a trilogy, and I doubt I ever will. Laini Taylor, give me more please?? And I'm not talking about Night of Cake & Puppets (which I have yet to read). MORE.
Have you read any of these wonderful books? What are the best books you've read since January? Lemme know, my lovelies!

No comments:

Post a Comment