Wednesday 3 September 2014

Discussion: Netgalley is Killing Me

I have recently discovered that I have the awful habit of requesting books that I think I'll find interesting, only to find that they are completely not what I was hoping for. At all. Like, they're really bad. I try to expand my interests and try out new things, and it doesn't always work out well for me. I recently picked up a book that I THOUGHT was about the intersection of sex and the body positivity movement. And then I realised that it was a big old pile of body shaming dreck. NO THANK YOU.
8
And I don't know what to do. Can I just DNF it? Haven't I agreed to read this book and give it a fair shot? Don't I have to finish it and write a review saying all of the things I hated about it? I don't want to do that, but I need to give feedback, right? Otherwise my review ratio will go right down the toilet (not that it's not already pretty close to that).

I also recently got a book through Netgalley that was described as a lesbian fantasy novel. The blurb sounded awesome. It wasn't like anything I'd seen before. And then I started reading it and it was just weirdly written erotica. I don't do erotica. What do I do??? Maybe I just need to do some closer reading of descriptions before hitting that request button.
huh?
My face when I started reading Out of This World
What are your thoughts? What do you do when you request a book that is absolutely not what you thought it would be and you just can't bring yourself to read it? Do you push through and produce a crappy review or do you just pretend it doesn't exist like I do?

No comments:

Post a Comment